Weather in the Movies
1. Choose a film that contains a weather phenomenon. (You can get many of these movies for FREE from the Salt Lake City or Salt Lake County library systems, and some are also available on Netflix or Amazon Prime)
2. Watch the movie!
3. Choose a weather phenomenon to research (if there is more than one in the film).
4. Use books, news articles, textbooks, and scholarly articles to learn more about the science behind this phenomenon (minimum of three references). Please DO NOT cite Wikipedia pages, though they may be a good start to steer you toward more appropriate references.
5. Write a 500-700 (or more) word blog post or webpage (to be posted directly onto your ePorfolio, a file upload is NOT appropriate) addressing
-How was this film related to weather? How was weather used to move the story forward?
-What is the science behind the phenomenon you chose to research?
-How well or poorly did the film depict the reality of this phenomenon?
6. Make sure you include appropriate graphics/videos, embedded into the post. Also hyperlinks to appropriate pages can be useful as well.
7. At the end of the post make sure you inlcude your references (minimum of three) cited in a consistent style.
Here is an example of a blog analyzing the scientific accuracy of “Gravity”:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/10/04/ba_movie_review_gravity.html (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Here are some possible films. There are MANY other possibilities. If you have a question about if a film will work, feel free to message me and ask!
-Into the Storm; 2014; Directed by Steven Quale
-The Day After Tomorrow; 2004; Directed by Roland Emmerich
-The Perfect Storm; 2000; Directed by Wolfgang Peterson
-Twister; 1996; Directed by Jan de Bront
For assistance with creating an ePortfolio or putting this assignment on your ePortfolio you can see the ePortfolio Resource Page:
http://eportresource.weebly.com/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Here is a resource for open content media that you can use. However, still please be sure to always make it clear who or where the image came from:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
To hand in the assignment you will submit the URL of the blog post/webpage on your ePortfolio.
Weather in the MoviesWeather in the MoviesCriteriaRatingsPtsThis criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeBlog post or webpage is posted on ePortfolio and is not merely a file upload.2.0 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeBlog post or webpage is a minimum of 500 words long.1.0 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeThree references, minimum, are cited and listed at the end in a consistent and comprehensive format.1.0 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomePiece is well written with correct spelling and grammar, a logical flow, appropriate formatting, and a writing style that engages the reader..3.0 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomePiece is multimedia and includes pictures, graphics, videos, links, and/or other interactive content.2.0 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeThere is a thorough analysis of the accuracy of weather in the film including specific examples, and is backed up with references to approriate sources.3.0 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeThe science of the weather phenomenon is describes clearly and concisely using approprate references to sources.3.0 pts
Total Points: 15.0
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
We offer you a money-back guarantee because we are 100% sure of the service we provide. We care about both the money you pay for our service and the quality of the service.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, as per your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. We ensure there is little chance for you to receive a plagiarized paper.Read more
If you feel that something should have been done differently, feel free to use our free revision feature. We will revise your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
We store your personal information safely and never share it with third parties. We also do not store our payment details on our system and only use reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more