Write a response to the passages–at least 20 words to each passage. Here are some suggestions for your responses:
- What’s in this passage that interests you: imagery, characters, plot, pacing, tone, etc.
- Is this text influenced by history or other factors?
- Reflect on what you know about the author. How might his or her biography influence the text?
- How do characters contribute to the story or theme?
- Why does the author choose a particular setting, image, or tone?
- What argument is the passage making?
- What theme is the passage exploring?
- What does the author want you to understand?