The first stage due in Unit III consists of:
- Your chosen topic statement/intention related to something in the last 400 years in Western Civilization
- A list of five reputable sources chosen according to these guidelines and presented in APA format.
Please note that review articles cannot be used. More on this below.
Please identify in your assignment which source fits which criteria:
- ONE: At least one primary source: a document, object, or other material directly related to the topic and produced in that time. This should be a document that provides a first-hand account of your topic without previous knowledge of the event. Examples may include newspapers, diaries, letters, film, records, or speeches that were produced in the time you’re studying.
- TWO: At least one current, relevant article: an article published in a reputable periodical magazine like Timeor The Economist or Forbes or the Smithsonian within the last five years.
- THREE: At least one peer-reviewed article: an article from a respected publication put out by universities, historical societies, or another academic entity that has clearly identified the credentials of the author, reviewer, and publisher. This one can be hard to find. It does not need to be recent because historians consult the history of work done on their topic as well as recent works.
THIS CANNOT BE A REVIEW ARTICLE OF SOMEONE ELSE’S BOOK OR ARTICLE. PLEASE BE CAREFUL THAT YOU ARE NOT USING REVIEWS. IF YOU SEARCH ACADEMIC ONEFILE OR ACADEMIC COMPLETE ON THE CSU LIBRARY, YOU CAN OPT FOR A SEARCH THAT WON’T RETURN REVIEW ARTICLES.
- FOUR: At least one published book: This can be in electronic or print form and from any time; be sure to research the publisher, author, and year as that may influence bias. THIS CANNOT BE A REVIEW ARTICLE OF SOMEONE ELSE’S BOOK OR ARTICLE. SEE NUMBER THREE FOR GUIDANCE.
- FIVE: One more source that falls into one of the categories above but provides a perspective opposite to the other selection of the same kind.