Cells and Cancer and Mitosis and Meiosis”
Note: Online students, please respond to one (1) of the following three (3) bulleted items.
- Listen to one (1) of the following podcasts listed below:
- NPR Podcast: Can healthy eating reverse some cancers? Available here.
- Dana Farber Podcast: Sugar and Cancer. Available here.
- Briefly summarize the podcast you have selected then discuss whether or not you believe that dieting can reverse cancer or if dieting impacts your risk of cancer. Justify your response.
- Name two (2) similarities and two (2) differences between mitosis and meiosis I and II. Next state three (3) benefits of genetic variation which result from meiosis. Which benefit do you believe is most significant? Justify your response.
- Read the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology article entitled, “Mitosis at a Glance” which is found here. Next summarize three (3) major points made in the article then define the term cancer in your own words. Lastly, describe what occurs when there are problems during mitosis then provide an example of a disease that results from abnormal mitosis.
3 years ago